Saturday, January 2, 2010

Resolution 2010

I am going to write. This is my only specific resolution for this year. I have general resolutions about being a better father, friend and husband, and I will hold to those resolutions. But, writing is the sticking point in my academic and professional future, so I resolve to write something every week.
As the result of writing and struggling through a number of sizeable term papers over the past two semesters, it is clear that I need to learn how to write better. Dr. Carl Wiens, head of the Music Theory and Music History program at Nazareth College, and I had a nice talk recently about academic writing and research. After he made my term paper for his class bleed red with comments and corrections I asked for direction on how to be a better writer. Two big suggestions were thrown at me: 1. Read A LOT of good writing, look at blogs, journalism, academic writing, and get a sense for what works and what doesn’t. 2. Write A LOT, criticism, research, stories… create a blog.
This blog is not going to be on any subject in particular. Most likely it will have a number of subjects and sub-subjects ranging from music to family to politics to spirituality to running, anything goes. Also, I intend to make some of this subjective and some of it objective. Hopefully I can accomplish a few things: explore subjects that matter to me at a deeper level; learn how to write without being a narcissist; and further my career potential.
Furthermore, I am encouraging comments. Please share what you will. Criticize my writing style, comment on my subject matter, agree or disagree with my positions (on subjective positions), contribute facts… all of this will help me grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment